Just Your Average 20-Something Guy in Chicago:

The life and stories of your average, single 20-something professional in the city of Chicago. Is it Funny - Maybe. Sad - Probably. Delicious to read - if you like reading about nothing. But, hey, it worked for Seinfeld.

Sunday, May 14, 2006

May 12th & 13th

So what if I already failed at a few days of blogging on this column. For the first time in months I have actually been busy at work. I had a nice little 6 hour meeting on Friday that destroyed the day.

So the work on my home is done. Yes, I am enjoying the ritual of moving from early homeowner who after the down-payment on the home has to enjoy the beauty that is Ramen Noodles all over again from college, to actually having the funds to put in solid improvements into my home in order to sell it. See my first blog about this. Well, the work is all done now. Friday evening, Saturday day and part of Sunday day I spent cleaning, vacuuming, mopping, mopping, cleaning, getting on my knees like a $2 whore and cleaning the stuff no person ever wants to clean. But I did, and it’s done. For now.....I still need to clean the one room in the house that had no work done in it, the bedroom. It was the storage place for everything that was breakable during the entire process. Now all that crap has to go back. Amazing how miserable it is to do all this work just so I can leave it behind.

Saturday night I had a wedding. It was in the Sears Tower on the 66th floor. Now, that is a way to get married, looking down upon the entire city of Chicago. The wedding was a great time. A whole bunch of friends were there, including one who recently moved to Virginia to be with her fiancée. I am not gonna lie, I think the true value in the Average 20-something life of a guy at a wedding is to do two things, drinking all the free liquor one can and hope to be in the pants of some bridesmaid at the end of night. Unfortunately, there were no single women there I would do this with who was not a close friend and I would be participating in the single most awkward event of the entire wedding process when dealing with drunk 20-somethings, the sleeping with a close friend and then the awkward awakening the next morning. Trying to explain what happened and then trying to act like nothing happened the next time you are out with them on a normal Saturday night. It can go one of three ways, one, you will forever be awkward around the other person because you know (theoretically) what each other looks like naked (although if enough of a drunken stupor, you may have imagined things that were or were not there that do or do not exist)and will forever feel awkward around each other. Two, every time the two go out, you somehow find your way into one or the other's bed by the end of the night for meaningless sex (IDEAL SITUATION), Third, you act like nothing ever happened, you chalk it up to the glories of booze and move on with you night. Order of desirability for the average 20-something, 2-3-1. Friendship is always nice, friendship with sex; you get the best of everything, the sex without ever having to meet the parents.

This is the perfect segway into Sunday. Mother's Day. Yes, I did trek all the way out of the city to the hollow lands of the north suburbs. You know, where people go when they are ready to give up on life and the enjoyment of living amongst two million people per square block. With plenty of drinking and eating establishments close enough you can throw a tennis ball from you balcony and hit six of them at once. Anywho, my brother, sister-in-law and I bought the Mom a Nano for Mother's Day and for her birthday, but I could not show up on Mother's Day and present the Mom with nothing, so I arrived with Tulips and a card. The one great thing about spending time with the Mom and the Dad, is anytime I am with them, I definitely get to eat better than I do at home, especially during the Ramen Noodles phase (yes, I think my sodium levels were about 3,000 times what they were suppose to be at that time). The Dad got steaks that were 18-400 ounces. Huge. A whole potato and corn. It was a meal straight out of the farmer's house in Iowa. Good meal, but I think I am about to explode after eating it. And let me tell you, nothing better than driving home from the suburbs back to the city with a full load of clean clothes (did not have the Mom do that) and a full load in my stomach. It is like getting onto a roller coaster after just consuming a funnel cake. Or like sitting on a five hour flight in the window seat after drinking 8 beers in an hour.....something has to give.

Anywho....thats all I got from now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home