Just Your Average 20-Something Guy in Chicago:

The life and stories of your average, single 20-something professional in the city of Chicago. Is it Funny - Maybe. Sad - Probably. Delicious to read - if you like reading about nothing. But, hey, it worked for Seinfeld.

Thursday, May 11, 2006

May 11, 2006

I think instead of my catchy titles of each blog from my sports site, Occasionally Coherent Ramblings and then simply increasing by one number, I am just going to mark the date.

The idea of this site is to mention the funny and boring shit I notice on a daily basis, but it will be on a one day lag. For instance, this post says May 11, but it will refer to May 10th events.

What am I trying to accomplish with this blog? Well, like my other blog, simply wasting your time. But, I am going to try and show, mostly to all my lady readers (hi Jayne) what a guy is thinking in other situations (other than food, beer, sports, boobs and sleep) but, contrary to popular belief, a lot of other things go through our heads (when am I eating, where am I drinking, female's asses, where am I watching sports today).

You will see what life is like for me as a 20-something professional. This does not mean that I go out drinking beers every night with friends ogling women...just on Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights. One thing to expect, unless it is the weekend, I take the day off or a really random something happens at work, I will not be discussing it at all. So when there seems to be a blackhole in my life from 8:30-6PM each day its only because there pretty much is a blackhole in my life from 8:30-6PM every day.

Now for the show....

Yesterday I got home to find my house still in shambles. I have put in a considerable amount of finances into my home so that it can be sold and I can buy a different home that has everything I just put into it, but that costs more and may have one more bedroom/bathroom. These issues sum up to one thing, I am a moron to spend $6K on updating my home so I can move away from it and move into somewhere that has the exact things I already have. Mercy.

I thought a good way to deal with this would be to take a bike ride. This is the first time my bike has worked...well, since I bought it. I had to assemble it, and even though I am decent with my hands (ladies...) apparently bicycle repair is not on the list. Plus, a few things broke that I did not have, so I had a professional fix it. Now it rides perfectly, which is real nice in Chicago for exercise, to get somewhere and getting to not worry about parking and enormous gas prices. I live a block away from one of the largest parks in the city of Chicago and from the Lake. (Note to reader, anytime I say the "Lake" it is in reference to Lake Michigan. One of the Great Lakes that borders Chicago.) As I was biking through the park, I bumped into a friend who is an ump for softball, he was down an umpire for 16" Chicago-style softball and asked if I would sub. Now, once you get to know me, you know I said yes. Good times, people listen to me, me telling people where they could put their opinion if they thought I made a bad call. Good times.

I got home from the ride and umping, no big argument happened in the game, and where the pipes were from my kitchen sink that were to be addressed the following day by the plumber, were leaking beyond the bowl and bucket I left behind. The best part, the plumber was supposed to be out the week before to fix the cold water in the bathroom. So with no water in the kitchen and no cold water in the bathroom, I am currently left with only warm water from the bathroom faucet in my entire place. I will never, ever again do any significant work on my home without having some decent back-up option. I would be willing to pay a good premium to avoid having to do major work on my home again in the future. Therefore, if you have a fixer-upper home, do not even bother wasting your time on me. I will pass on it faster than Corky from "Life Goes On" could pass on putting together an entire, understandable sentence.

Ok, I think that is a good starter post on the new blog. I think I like this idea, lets me vent and deal with the stupid shit I deal with on a daily basis. May 10th just did not have anything real stupid to deal with. I wish each day were like May 10th then. Unfortunately I live in this place called reality also known as "My Life".

One thing I can do without in the city, that the Fire Department and Police Department will still use their siren and horn at like 2 AM. For the few morons on the road at 2AM on a Wednesday night, they are either asleep at the wheel, drunk or can see really bright flashing lights. The use of the horn in the middle of a residential area seems to serve one purpose. The Firemen are pissed that they are awake for what will, most likely, be a false alarm at 2AM, so they feel everyone else within a 3 miles radius should be awake as well.

Also, Dudes on Crotch Rockets that feel the need to make the bikes get real loud at 3AM because they are drunk and are trying to impress the drunk girls at 3AM, Stop! I hate you and hope that you are trying to be so cool and impress the women that you stop paying attention and get hit by a bus or a streetlight pole. Just use your feet or a bicycle like every other normal person in a city.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home